Every year OSHA publishes a review of the top 10 most frequently cited serious violations. They run these statistics for three different industries: Construction, General Industry, and Maritime.
OSHA’s Fiscal Year for this report is from October 1, 2021 through September 30, 2022. It is important to note, they are only reporting from the states and jurisdictions that use the Federal OSHA programs, and does not include the 27 states that run independent safety programs.
Why do we share this information? Because it is important to learn from our mistakes! I’m sure you’ve heard that what gets watched gets fixed; The squeaky wheel gets the grease; When the score is kept the game gets better. All of these are saying when you know where the faults are you know what to fix. It’s almost like getting the answers to the test. Lastly there is the fact that these are real citations, a punch to the wallet (because after all if you’re not paying, you’re not paying attention).
So here it is, the Top 10 Most Frequently Cited Serious Violations for the Construction Industry
- Fall Protection – Residential Construction
- Cited: 4,171
- Eye and Face Protection – Lack of use of appropriate protection
- Cited: 1,551
- Ladders – Not extending 3 feet above a landing surface
- Cited: 1,540
- Fall Protection – Lack of training for those exposed to fall hazards
- Cited: 1,228
- Head Protection – Lack of head protection
- Fall Protection – Unprotected sides and edges
- Cited: 706
- Aerial Lifts – Lack of fall protection while in basket
- Cited: 591
- General Safety and Health – Lack of inspection from a competent person
- Fall Protection – Roofing work on low slope roofs without protection
- Cited: 406
- General Safety and Health – Recognition and avoidance of unsafe condition
The OSH Act was passed in 1970 to promote workplace safety and reduce injuries and illness. It is with the best intentions that they inspect and enforce the standards. Without them, workplaces get out of control, people get seriously hurt or killed, insurance and workman’s comp go through the roof, and everyone loses. We encourage you to take this information and use it for good.